Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Human, The Fish, and The Ocean

Like boulders placed on bony shoulders
Laden with the crushing weight
I shout out against the pain
Knowing not that I am mute

Comes on the rope
Strapping these stones to me

"Hold onto them for dear life
Not a single one shall drop" I hear
If I’m not to break the ice
And tumble into unforgiving waters

Time passes
Aches of both the cold and stone
Turn numb with frozen air and frozen feeling
I float further and further
From those who tell me to desperately grasp the stones
On my island of ice, in callous seas

A lone baby fish,
Accompanies my ride, showing me the freedom of ‘swim’
So small
Without burden or weight

And although I may see it's immaculate state,
My ravenous being reaches for the fish
And grabs it with both hands
Takes it out of the water

Puts it back in

Takes it back out

Puts it back in

Takes it back out

Puts it back in

Despite the glimmer of it’s beautiful scales
On the surface of the ceaseless waves
Some force in me desperately craved
Power in my alone helpless state

As if some force in me, swallowed in the numbing pain,
Would do anything to feel some sense of control
To relieve the holding of stones 
Causing anguish to my soul

The fish swims away
No surprise 
For suffering I have caused it
And how hilariously terrible,
And not funny at all
That now the rocks feel bit

By bit

By bit

Heavier

As I approach slightly warmer waters
The aching returns once more,
Stronger this time
Upon my form

And I feel no longer
The desire to escape this powerless state
Instead that I deserved the weight of gravity
In the first place

I lay on the ocean

At peace with my assumption
That this is the meaning of my life
To hold a burden,
Then a greater one
So that I may instead deserve all pain which comes to me

At peace with my assumption
That my life amounts to no more than weighty rocks
Atop a human lost at sea,
The mind stops
Taking my emaciated body to eternal rest
Relieving the world of a shameful birth

Until I awaken to find my island
Has greatly shrunk in size
And that now the heaviness of stone
Pulverizes my flesh
Pressuring my body to fall through
The thin ice which has carried my doom

I will sink, no doubt
With the rope tearing at my skin
Swallowed into the sea below
Now is only left the waiting game

A final breath meekly fills my chest

As the ice breaks
The weight of this human
Plunges into the abyss

Alas, my eyes open once more
To finally allow salty tears
Hidden for so long
To meet the dreaded salty water

But instead of crying in tortuous remorse
The eyes instead silent themselves
Watching the scene around them
And the mouth speaks out instead
In choking sobs

For the water does not painfully pierce the skin
For the view is not without light and shrouded in darkness
For the waves are not menacing and harsh

The warm blue around my immersed self
Reveals to me life
Kept concealed by my only seeing the surface

How the fish of fuchsias and indigos
Of arylide yellows and brilliant carnelians
Of chartreuses and cinnamons and rubies
Of shimmering diamond skins and satin lilac

Embraced around me, so eloquently
I forget my body
Settling at the bottom of these shallow tides
And instead thank the universe

To have never known this peace
Apart from the peace of accepting a meaningless life!

To have never seen such beauty
And believed beauty was in accepting worthlessness
With the stones I let lay upon my body
And ache my soul

When, truthfully
Had I untethered them
And let them roll off me
One by one plopping into the water

I may have not drown here as I am
And sailed to this wondrous grace sooner
Unbound by heavy stones

And still have gone to the same place
That all the adrift and lost
That all the shameful and numbed
That all the pained and laden
Would find themselves

I sleep now, calm with the waves

But find myself now a fish
And swim to a drifting glacier

To speak to a human laden with stone
And remind them of the beauty awaiting them
And although they punish me
Numb with the pain of their own heaviness
Although they take me out of the water

Put me back in

Take me out

Put me back in

Take me out

Put me back in

Although I have shown them the freedom of ‘swim’
They, too, have shown me
That my journey was not to be regretted

For this human
Had no conception of the far-off colorful scene

For this human
Was afraid

For this human
With stones of grief
Starved for the power of love and beauty

Aside from acceptance of worthlessness and meaninglessness

I swim on

With the ebb and flow of the current
Knowing now the greatest beauty
The unimaginable expanse
And unity and community that is

'Ocean'

No comments:

Post a Comment